Wednesday, September 1, 2010

30 Days of Self Love Reflection, Day 1

Happy September!

So, I follow a lot of healthy living and wellness blogs. I look to them for inspiration in my own quest to be healthy, to get advice on food and exercise, and just for entertainment at times, because a lot of them are truly funny and talented writers!
Through one of them, Healthy Tipping Point, I was directed to Faith, Fitness, Fun. This blogger, Tina, has started a 30 Days of Self Love Reflection activity on her blog. When I found this, I realized it was something I needed becauseI have been feeling pretty down lately. Also, let's face it, my self-esteem hasn't always been the greatest.
So, I will be following along with that activity on here, starting with this post!
The question asked was this "What do you have to be confident about?"
The first thing that came to mind was earning my college degree.
Granted, that hasn't led to instant employment, and to be honest I'm not even 100% sold on the idea of being a teacher anymore. Still, the fact is that I put in the work and finished school. That's not an opportunity granted to every person in this world, and even those who do get it don't always finish. In that regard, I am very much a lucky person, and I can hold my head high and say that I did that.
In regards to teaching, I feel confident in that even if I wasn't the greatest French and English teacher, I still made a difference in some students' lives.
Even if it was only the fact that I would sit and talk with them during down moments in class when I was subbing or student teaching, it still makes me feel great. Over the two years I was at my last school, I watched students at the school I worked at open up to me. I looked over poems and writings for other classes, I helped with studying, I talked them through looking at colleges, or just doled out general life advice. It gives me confidence, because it reminds me that, while I may not be a great teacher nor is that maybe what I was meant to do, it shows me that I can work with young people and have them open up to me, which in turn gives me confidence that there is something out there I can do.
Finally, training for a half marathon has given me a ton of confidence in myself.
I set a goal, I worked toward it, and on Saturday I will see that come to fruition. It has not been easy--finding time to run 12 miles, for example, was kind of hard. It meant a lot of time out on the streets and trails by myself, in all kinds of weather. It meant battling aches and pains beyond what I ever thought I could feel. But, I did it! In addition, over-coming the initial nay-sayers gives me confidence. There were many who, while well intentioned, thought I shouldn't do the race, or that I couldn't do it this soon. Proving that wrong makes me feel so confident in my ability to overcome the doubts of others if I never doubt myself.

Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment